Summer Feature: You Don’t Have to Take My Word For It.

I grew up on Reading Rainbow, as many of you might have.

LeVar Burton’s tag line, introducing the kid book review segment of the show, echoed in my head as I figured out how to show off the many incredible educators and education thinkers I have the privilege of knowing. I’d like to start dedicating summer posts to their voices.

My hope is to both cajole guest posts out of them and conduct “interviews” over email, which I will post in their entirety on the blog.

Shortly, then, my inaugural guest post on the controversial Teach For America program from Sarah Cannon, former TFA teacher and current Ph.D. candidate in education.

5 thoughts on “Summer Feature: You Don’t Have to Take My Word For It.

1. Jason– TFA’s been getting a lot of press recently, and I wanted a perspective from someone on the inside. Sarah’s unique in that she is not your “typical” urban TFAer– people forget that TFA also staffs isolated rural schools in need. (My sis in law also was TFA, in Arkansas.)

Joe– you’re on the list, as long as you stop grafting Facebook-speak onto the blog. 🙂

2. I am not sure, but I think I went through a similar program via a local state college and my current school district – I called it teachers’ boot camp. I won’t go into all the gory details, but my determination to become a teacher as a second/third career was profound. I’ve often said it’s akin to parenting – an important job given to amateurs with a lot of on the job training. So, with that said, traditional teachigng colleges produce motivated teachers, and some not-so, and I would wager TFA is the same.

Bottom line: I look forward to reading her post, and every post you contribute, and have others do, too.